Since 2010, the Indian Government has been taking steps to make Aadhar card a key and essential identification document for the Indian citizens, however, as of today, it is not mandatory to have an Aadhar card and supreme court had forbidden the GOI from making it a mandatory document but, at the same time today, bank transaction, subsidies, tax return, Pension and investing in a financial institutions require Aadhar card as a mandatory document. It has already been revealed that within a few years, the government well as private sector institution will make the Aadhar card a mandatory requirement to avail their services and offers.
What exactly is an Aadhar card? For the people who still haven’t applied for one and don’t know about Aadhaar card, it is a simple identification document or a card with a 12-digit unique number allotted by the UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India). You might be keen to know the difference between an Aadhar card and other legendary identification documents like passports, voter Ids, ration cards, driving license’s, etc.? The answer is simple; The Aadhar card is more advanced and holds more information on everything of the cardholder, the 12-digit unique number holds the address proof, the bank account details, the identification details, cardholders’ pension, bank transaction history, biometrics etc. To be simple, if you have an Aadhaar card you no longer have to carry all your documents.
Like I mentioned above the 12-digit Aadhaar card number holds all the details of the cardholder on it. These details currently include address, date of birth, fingerprints, Iris scan, bank accounts, gas connection details, insurance, pensions, etc. however, there are rumours that the GOI is planning to make it mandatory to link Aadhar card to more details which might include cardholders assets, educational qualifications, and many more.
Now, you know what exactly an Aadhar card is. As of today, here are some of the key benefits of having an Aadhar card.
- Direct Benefits Transfer – If you are an Aadhar card holder, the government allotted subsidy amount will be directly credited to your Aadhaar linked bank account. (Aadhar card is not linked to your bank account as default, you will have to do it after receiving the Aadhaar card)
- Instant Bank account – Today, if you need to open a new bank account in any bank in India, submitting Aadhaar card as a document will do the job, you will not have to submit any other documents. Aadhar card relieves the mess of producing a bunch of documents as proof for a new bank account.
- Digital Locker – The Aadhaar card comes with digital locker facility that holds all the personal documents of the cardholder on their server. In simple, 12-digit Aadhaar card number holds all your personal information.
- MNREGA – The National Rural Employment Guarantee Act 2005, the wages as promised on this scheme will be credited directly to the Aadhar linked bank account only.
- Passport in just 10 days – An Aadhar card holds all the personal information of a cardholder on it, produce the Aadhar card as an identification document in a Passport Seva Kendra and you can get the passport in just 10-days. PS: The Aadhar card has been made mandatory for applying for a passport today.
- Monthly Pension – it has been made mandatory for all the pensioners from both state and central government sector to register their Aadhar card with their respective pension departments and the pension amount will be credited to the Aadhaar linked bank account directly.
- Scholarship amount – The students who have applied for the scholarship from the government, will receive the scholarship credited to their Aadhar card linked bank account. PS: most government-provided scholarship requires Aadhaar card as mandatory document and bank account in the applicant’s name.
- Provident Fund – IF, you link and register your Aadhar card number with the (EPFO) Employee Provident Fund Organization, the funds provided by this institution will get credited directly to your Aadhar linked bank account.
These are few of the benefits of having an Aadhaar card today. The GOI has declared that the Aadhaar card will be made more advanced with more personal details entered into it.
Hope this article helped you